WISport Cycling Series for the Normally Obsessed
Some of the country's best bicycling is found on the secondary country roads of Wisconsin, so it is only natural that the state has been the home of the WISport Cycling Series, a unique series of citizen's road races and time trials, for over 20 years. Attorney, and bicycle racer Jim Menzel, of Stevens Point, created WISport as an alternative to licensed racing, and, to his lasting credit, WISport has always been a more casual, socially oriented form of racing just as he intended. Located in various communities throughout the state and OPEN to all cycling participants, WISport has grown into a solid regional racing organization. Events are professionally timed, and feature awards in all of the WISport age group categories or series. Events are organized and conducted by various local civic organizations and clubs, and are used to raise funds for charitable causes in many cases. Prize drawings, refreshments and event memorabilia such as t-shirts, shorts, socks or caps are often included in the entry fees at WISport races.
As a WISport member, you will have the additional benefit of participating in a number of season-long points competitions, the results of which are updated each week on this website. WISport also conducts members’ only drawings for many cycling related items after races.
WISport Racing Series Guidelines for Road Races and Time Trials
1. Approved helmets must be worn in all events.
2. Race courses are open to traffic. All riders must obey all traffic laws and observe the centerline rule. Riders who disobey the centerline rule may be disqualified, suspended and/or expelledform the organization based on the severity of the incident(s).
3. Aero bars are prohibited in all mass start events. Aero bars may be used in time trials only.
4. WISport is a family friendly organization. Any member deemed unsportsmanlike or who behaves in a manner that brings discredit onto the organization, one of its members, or its management can and will be suspended and/or expelled from the organization based on the severity of the incident(s)
5. You can join WISport at any time, but you are strongly encouraged to sign up prior to the beginning of the season, or at the WISport Friendly Century or less/clinic in Willard. Your WiSport Online or Mailed in Registration Form application should reach WISport prior to the first event in which you intend to participate in order for you to be scored at a chosen event. Any registration post marked after September 1, will also register the member for all of the following year.
6. WISport's cumulative points scoring system emphasizes participation. Points are given to everyone finishing, based on how they finished within their age category and ther racing series they have entered. The running total is maintained during the season for each member. Year-end awards are given out for each age category, and racing series based on total points. All year-end awards will be given out at the WISport Banquet held annually in Waumandee Wisconsin in conjunction with the WISport World Championships.
Best of 7 Time Trial Series Family Team Team points
Overall Series Fastest Male/Female Tandem
With your WiSport registration of $30.00 for a standard membership or $40.00 for the Menzel Series registration you will be entered into all WiSport racing categories that you qualify for automatically.
7. Best of 7 or Road Race Series participants will be scored on the individual’s best 7 events (using a maximum of 3 time trials). Multi-person Time Trial events (two person, 4 person, or tandem events) do not count towards Best of 7 or Road Race Series competitions. Competitors may choose to do more than 7 events, but only the top 7-point totals will count towards their competition. Rule #15 will determine individual age group awarded points. The WiSport Friendly Century ride will award anyone who completes any or the distance rides 47 points towrds their Best of 7 score.
8. Time Trial Series participants will be scored on the individuals 5 best individual time trial events Competitors may choose to do more than 5 time trials, but only the top 5-point totals will count towards their competition. Multi-person Time Trial events (two person, 4 person, or tandem events) do not count towards this series. Rule #15 will determine individual age group awarded points.
9. Overall Series Total point’s awards for both males and females and are the total of their age group points from the Best of 7 or Road Racing Series over the course of the season. The Friendly Century points will count in this Series.
10. The Fastest Male and Fastest Female awards are based on the highest finishing WISport individual for each Individual WISport race. Each male and female will receive one point and total accumulated points will determine the winner. There will be no point awarded for team style events. (Example a team time trial or tandem event)
11. Team Points teams receive their points from their 5 highest scoring Road Race Series and Time Trial members at each race event up to 250 points. (Road Race and Time Trial) Friendly Century points (235 points)will count in this series. Multi-person Time Trial events (two person, 4 person, or tandem events) will count towards Team Points.
12. Individual age group points for all time trails and road races are given on a declining points system - 50 for first in your age group, 49 for second etc. Any rider entering a race regardless if they finish will receive age group and team points. A rider who starts a race or ride but does not complete it for any reason mechanical or otherwise will be give the next lowest age group points they are eligible for.
13. In the case of ties in any WISport point’s competitions, a computer generated average percentile score will be used to determine placing. Ties in individual races will award the higher point total to both riders and the next rider will be awarded the appropriate point total.
14. Individual’s ages for all WISport awards categories are the individual’s age on July 1.
15. Members may elect to race a different length racecourse when a race organizer offers this option. WISport will treat each distance as a separate event for all points and standings. In some cases, a race organizer may offer different distance options with restrictions based upon age, gender, or other distinctions. You must comply with any such restriction in order to receive WISport points.
16. If you race in more than one age group race, you will receive WISport points for only one of the races unless the separate starts are listed as separate WISport events. If the race length options are not restricted by age or any other way, a rider may freely choose to race either distance. All the distance options will appear on the website Schedule page as separate events.
17.Family Team Competition is a great way for you and your family to compete against other families in WISport. All members of the family team must live under the same roof or be related. The top 2 placed finishers for all types of WISport races will have their times added together and ranked against the other WISport family teams.Tandems may register as two people but will only count for one place at a race. Points are awarded via the following method.
The Jim Menzel Racing Series
The Jim Menzel Racing Series (JMRS) is a way for the faster members of WISport to compete with athletes of the same level. Racers will compete in a 10-12 race series for the coveted Yellow, Magenta, Green, White, and Polka dot jerseys. Team competitions are also part of the Tour de France style of racing. If you have what it takes to race at this level we would love to have you be part of the exciting action.
1. At each of the series stages, the cumulative points will be compiled and the current leader of each jersey will be determined. Points are awarded to only Menzel Series riders in the men and women's competitions. 100 pts for 1st, 99 pts for 2nd, 98 pts for 3rd, and so on until 1 pt for 100th place. Individuals finishing after 100th place do not score points. If an individual starts a race but does not finish the race they will receive the next lowest points of the last Menzel Series racer.
If a rider is not in the Series and finishes ahead of a Menzel Series racer their points will not be awarded to anyone. Points are awarded for men and women by the following scale until all racers have been awarded points.
2. Both men's and women's points will be based on their racing within their own gender groups unless a woman elects to join the men's division. Men cannot join the women's series.
3. The Jim Menzel Yellow Jersey for the men and the Sharon Menzel Yellow Jersey for the women, will be determined by the total points earned from the designated flat races, hilly races, and time trials in the Jim Menzel Racing Series only. Ties will be separated by most overall wins in that season then by highest average placing.
4. The White Jersey for men and women is awarded to individuals under the age of 24. It will follow the same criteria as the Yellow Jerseys. Age determination will follow rule #15 of the WISport rules. An individual can win both the Yellow and the White in the same year. White Jersey riders will compete with in there own group in addition to the other jerseys.
5. The El Colyer and Natalee Berg Magenta Jersey for men and women will be awarded to individuals over the age of 49. To enter, the person must follow rule #15 of the WISport rules. An individual can win both the Yellow and the Magenta in the same year. Magenta Jersey riders will compete with in there own group in addition to the other jerseys.
6. The Dar Vollrath Green Jersey for the men and the Deb Vollrath Green Jersey for the Women will be determined by total points for the designated flat road races in the Jim Menzel Racing Series. Ties will be separated by most overall wins in that season then by highest average placing.
7. The Butch Dushack Polka-Dot Jersey for the men and the Gwen Torkelson Polka-Dot Jersey for the Women will be determined by total points for the designated hilly races in the Jim Menzel Racing Series. Ties will be separated by most overall wins in that season then by highest average placing.
8. The Brones Cup for Menzel series teams will follow:
9. WISport members can sign up at anytime for The Jim Menzel Racing Series competitions, however, no points will be given retroactively. An Individual or team status cannot be changed once entered into the series for that season.
10. The Jim Menzel Racing Series is only open to single upright bicycles only.
11. Jim Menzel Series racers will not earn regular team points, age group points, Cruiser points or Flyweight points, at Jim Menzel Series Events. Racers may earn those points at non-Menzel racing Series events.
Interested in hosting an event on the WISport Calendar? Contact WISport at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you with the entire process from promotion to assisting you with helpful advise on how to make your event a successful one.
448 Glacier Ridge Trail
Verona WI, 53593
Last Updated Friday, April 26 2013 @ 07:39 AM CDT|6,049 Hits